Frequently Asked Questions

If your question is not listed below, please click here to see how you can connect with an Academic Advisor.

If I plan to go on an International Exchange, should I talk to an Academic Advisor beforehand?

Nipissing University students should discuss their plans for international exchange with an Academic Advisor before they submit their application. An Academic Advisor at this initial appointment will go over the international exchange process from an academic standpoint. The Academic Advisor will explain how credits will be transferred over and will help find ways to ensure that degree requirements are met while on an exchange. 

Please visit this webpage for more details on International Exchanges:

If a course is full, and it is required for my degree, can an Academic Advisor get me into that course?

In this instance please contact an Academic Advisor and notify them of the situation. They will be able to present you with available options. 

If the course has a waitlist, students should place themselves on it and check their student email account regularly. If a spot becomes available, the Registrar’s Office will send an automated notification giving the student 72 hours to register for the course. If the offer is not accepted, it will be rescinded and passed to the next student.

If I want to transfer to another university, can an Academic Advisor help me?

An Academic Advisor can provide general information about transferring, however it is always best to speak with the intended institution about the transfer process with regards to the admissions process, possible transfer credits, new degree requirements, etc.

If I take a course from another university, can I use that course in my Nipissing degree?

Yes, a student may be permitted to take course(s) at another university for credit. A Letter of Permission to undertake such courses must be obtained from an Academic Advisor before registering at the other university.

For more information regarding a Letter of Permission, please visit this page.

What do I do if I want to come back to finish my degree?

Previous Nipissing students who have not registered in courses for more than a 12-month period are required to apply for readmission before they will be permitted to register. Registration information will be provided once they have been re-admitted to the university.

Students seeking to complete an honours upgrade must:

  • Meet the current published minimum average requirements for the degree and the major;
  • Complete all the requirements for the four-year degree program as specified in the academic calendar for the year that they are re-admitted.

What do I do if I want to leave the University?

Before deciding to withdraw from university, students may wish to speak to an Academic Advisor about the reasons for wanting to leave. If the student decides to withdraw, it is a very good idea for them to let the Registrar’s Office know about the decision.

If classes have begun and the decision has been made to withdraw, attention should be paid to the published withdrawal deadlines. Students should be sure to withdraw from classes through Webadvisor or the Registrar’s Office. If not properly done, the grade earned will be used on the student's transcript. If all assignments are not completed or the final exam is not written, it is likely that a student's grade will be quite low. Poor grades on the transcript could impact admission to post-secondary programs in the future.

Depending on the date of withdrawal from the university, students may be eligible for a refund of a portion of the tuition fees paid. Check with Student Financial Services for more information.

Can I transfer to a different Nipissing program?

As long as students have the proper admission requirements for their selected program, (e.g. 12U Biology or equivalent), they can change from one program to another. Students who intend to change their program should speak with an Academic Advisor to discuss new requirements and timeframe for finishing the degree.

Students looking to change or declare their program of study must inform the Registrar's Office. When students are changing their program of study, they must fill out an Academic Change form and return it to the Registrar's Office.

Can I take a course for a third time?

A student may attempt a course for a third time only with departmental approval.

How is my overall average calculated?

Nipissing University calculates averages using a weighted-average system. An example of how to calculate your overall average, along with a worksheet can be found on the Academic Advising website under the Student Resources section. The form is called ‘Calculating Your Average’.

How do I drop a course?

Students wishing to withdraw from a course must do so through “My Nipissing” on WebAdvisor. Before dropping a course, students should ensure that they are within the allowed timeframe.

When can I register for courses?

Registering for the Fall/Winter Term is usually done in Spring. The Registrar’s office will notify students of the registration dates via their Nipissing student email accounts. Registration for Spring/Summer courses is usually around March.

Is there a way to register for a course when I don't have the prerequisite?

Students can, with the permission of the professor, take a course for which they do not have the prerequisite. Students who wish to do so must have the Prerequisite Exemption form filled out by their professor and submit it to the Registrar’s Office.

What is considered a Humanities, Social Science and/or Science course?

All undergraduate programs (with the exception of Bachelor of Commerce, Consecutive Education, Nursing and Physical and Health Education) make reference to Humanities, Social Science, Science and Professional Discipline requirements (breadth requirements). These groups are listed in the Breadth Requirements section of the Academic Calendar.

What is the French Placement Test?

Prior to taking their first French course, students are required to take the Nipissing University French Placement Test. This assessment will evaluate the language competency of students and enable them to enroll in the appropriate language level. Students who have been assessed at a level equivalent to or greater than FREN 2007 may pursue their French studies in any upper level courses (e.g. FREN 2106, FREN 3006, etc.).

What are my options if I missed the drop deadline?

Generally, if students have missed the drop deadline, then they must finish the course, however they can speak with an Advisor to discuss other options that may be available.

What effect does a WDR have on my academic record?

A WDR will not have an effect on a student's overall cumulative average. The class which was dropped, however, will remain on the transcript alongside a WDR. This WDR will be visible on the transcript, however it might be a better choice than having a failing grade on the transcript which will affect the student's Nipissing average.

How do I apply to graduate?

When a student wishes to apply for graduation, he/she is required to submit a Graduation Application to the Registrar's Office. Graduation applications are completed on Webadvisor. Application is required of all graduates whether or not they attend Convocation. Students who are unable to attend the Annual Convocation Ceremony should request that their degree be conferred in absentia. Diplomas will be mailed to those who do not attend convocation.

More information regarding graduation procedures and deadlines can be found in the Graduation section of the Academic Calendar.

Can an Academic Advisor tell me what transfer credits I am getting?

Advanced standing is assessed by the Registrar's Office. An Academic Advisor is not able to tell prospective students what they are eligible for. The Registrar's Office will begin to assess advance standing upon receiving a final transcript. Once the assessment is completed, students should be able to view transfer credits on WebAdvisor. At this point an appointment should be booked with an Academic Advisor in order to see how these credits will fit into the student's academic program.