Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program (Vanier CGS)
Nipissing University is pleased to have a quota for one (1) SSHRC Vanier award every 3 years. The internal deadline to submit your application is October 11, 2019 at 4:30pm
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program was created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning.
It is worth $50,000 per year for three years and is available to both Canadian and international PhD students studying at Canadian universities
Students interested in applying for a Vanier CGS should contact their proposed academic unit/program to discuss this opportunity regardless of whether or not they have submitted an application for admission.
- Valued at $50,000 per year for up to 3 years
- Canadian and International students are eligible to be nominated
- Candidates are strongly encouraged to pursue their studies at a university other than that (or those) which granted their undergraduate and graduate degrees. Candidates who are nominated by a university at which they have completed a previous degree must provide a strong and compelling rationale, in the special circumstances section of the application, as to why they have chosen to undertake their PhD at the same university.
Please review the application process and deadline dates of your proposed nominating university
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
- be nominated by only one Canadian university, which must have received a Vanier CGS allocation;
- be seeking financial support to pursue your first doctoral degree;
- intend to pursue studies and research at the nominating university;
- have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2020
- have achieved a first-class average of 80%, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent.
- not have already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
- students apply using ResearchNet
- applications completed on ResearchNet must be submitted no later than October 11, 2019
- university selection committees review all applications
- recommended applications forwarded to the national competition (by November 6, 2019)
- nominations reviewed by peer review selection committee at the agency if recommended by the agency committee, it is forwarded to the Vanier Peer Review committee
Critical Steps in the Application Process:
You will be required to send all of your official transcripts to your proposed nominating university.
The nominating university will attach your transcripts should your nomination be forwarded to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat.The Vanier-Banting Secretariat will only accept official transcripts from your nominating university.
You should contact potential referees at least 2 weeks prior to the deadline and provide them with all of the information regarding what is required in the referee’s assessment and the selection criteria guidelines. Reference letters are submitted and uploaded to the application electronically through ResearchNet.
Create a ResearchNet Account
If you have already accessed ResearchNet you do not need to register for a new account. Your Vanier CGS application will be submitted through ResearchNet.
Create a Common CV account
If you have a Common CV account you do not need to create for a new one.