Reporting Sexual Violence

If you are in immediate danger or a life-threatening situation, CALL 911

Survivors have the right to choose whether or not to file a complaint  with Nipissing University, police, or civil proceedings. Supports will always be available and accessible regardless of a survivors choice to file a formal complaint.

Formal Report to Nipissing University

You may decide that you want to report the sexual violence to Nipissing University. The following are contacts for filing a formal complaint:

  • Sexual Violence Prevention and Education Coordinator 705-474-3450, ext. 4075 |
  • Student Development and Services 705-474-3450, ext. 4099 |
  • Campus Security; 705-474-3450 ext. 5555 or 705-498-7244 (Emergencies)

If you choose to report the sexual violence to the staff at Nipissing University, we will ensure that we help to support each individual by providing information on what options are available to you. Examples of possible options may be filing a complaint under Nipissing University’s Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities or the Sexual Violence Prevention, Support and Response Policy, or reporting the violence to Residence Life. The Sexual Violence Prevention and Education Coordinator can also help connect you with on-campus mental health support, and information about community supports available to you.

Police Reporting

You may choose to report the sexual violence to the police. You may choose to do this whether or not you make a complaint with the University against the accused or not. Making a police report does not stop you from also making a complaint at the University against the accused.

The Toronto Police have created A Guide for Sexual Assault Survivors that provides some information that might be helpful in understanding the legal process.

The Sexual Violence Prevention and Education Coordinator is available to chat with you if you would like more information about either of these options or next steps. The Sexual Violence Prevention and Education Coordinator is available to all students for support, regardless of location, program, and year of study (i.e. North Bay students, students studying at a distance or online, and students on placement). 

Following an experience of sexual violence you can: go somewhere safe, seek out support and/or  talk to someone you trust, and/or seek out medical care. Not all of these options may feel right to you, and you may decide that you do not want to do these things. It is normal and okay to not know what you would like to do, and to have many different feelings. Some people experience embarrassment, loneliness, anger, guilt, and/or anxiety. What happened was not your fault, and you are not responsible for someone else's actions, no matter what you were doing, wearing or where you were.

If you are unsure what to do, or need support in making that decision, you can contact the SVPEC in non emergency situations, or one of the helplines or agencies on the Support Services Page.

Please note: Visiting the SVPEC does not oblige you to make a report.


Please note that all external links and resources posted on the Consent Belongs Here website are not meant to replace face-to-face consultation with or diagnoses by qualified professionals, nor are they meant to be "on-line counselling." The listing of external sites does not imply that Nipissing University or its staff endorse all of the information located there. We cannot guarantee that all information on each site is accurate or complete. The resources and guidelines offered on this site are suggestions only, and do not substitute for consultation with a qualified Mental Health or Medical Professional.

By using these external links , you must agree to not hold the websites themselves, their staff or partners, or Nipissing University staff liable, or make any claims of damages of any kind, including claims of damages based on action taken by you related to the information contained on the respective websites.

Your use of these websites constitutes your agreement to the above terms.