Prospective Students

New Student Checklist
Not sure where to start? Use the following checklist to get started, and we will guide you along the way. We urge you to get in touch with us ASAP (in May or June, if possible) and well before your first semester begins!

  1. Submit your Self-Identification Form and gather your disability documentation. We will be in touch!
  2. Meet Your Accessibility Consultant at the Information Fair during New Student Orientation.
  3. Submit your application early to attend the Accessibility Transition Program which takes place before school starts.
  4. Make an intake appointment with your Accessibility Consultant for September or earlier to arrange for your academic accommodations.

Student Accessibility Services can arrange for classroom and/or testing accommodations based on your individual​ needs.

Self Identification Form

In order to better meet the needs of students with disabilities at Nipissing University, this early identification and information form is made available for you to facilitate early communication with the Student Accessibility Services Office.

This information is collected according to the following principles:

  1. Participant identification is voluntary.
  2. If you choose to identify yourself, all information is CONFIDENTIAL to Student Accessibility Services and cannot be released without your permission.
  3. Identification will not affect your admission status.

Please complete the Self Identification Form online or complete it in person by visiting our office in B210.

Documentation Requirements

Students requesting academic accommodation are required to provide Student Accessibility Services with current documentation from a regulated health care professional who is licensed to diagnose your disability or health condition. Specific documentation requirements will depend on the nature of a student’s disability. The following outlines specific documentation requirements.

Learning Disability**

psycho-educational assessment completed by registered psychologist or psychological associate is required. The assessment must have been completed when the student was at least 18 years or within the last 4 years and must contain a clear and conclusive diagnostic statement of a learning disability.


A psycho-educational assessment completed by a registered psychologist OR the completion of the SAS Medical Documentation form for Mental Health and ADHD by a qualified healthcare professional with experience in the diagnosis and treatment of ADHD is required.

Deaf, Deafened, Hard of Hearing*

Low Vision, Blind*

Medical or Physical Condition*

Acquired Brain Injury*

Mental Health

Autism Spectrum Disorders*

A recent psycho-educational assessment* or formal letter from a family physician, psychologist, or psychiatrist* is preferred. If the former is not available, the completion of the SAS Medical Documentation form for Physical, Sensory, and Medical Disabilities​ is required.



*If you have a comprehensive assessment report completed by a regulated health care professional who is licensed to diagnose your disability or health condition that confirms your disability and details the functional limitations of your disability, it can be used in place of the SAS Medical Documentation form for Physical, Sensory, and Medical Disabilities.

**An Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and/or Identification, Placement and Review Committee Report (IPRC) are educational documents, and although they may be helpful to us as they provide insight into the Special Education support you may have had in elementary and secondary school, the IEP and the IPRC Report are not diagnostic healthcare documents and, therefore, they cannot be accepted as valid documentation of a disability.

If you do have an IEP but no formal documentation of your disability, please attach/forward your IEP and we will contact you for further information.

Interim Accommodations

SAS recognizes that appropriate documentation from a health care professional occasionally takes time to obtain; therefore, SAS can arrange interim accommodations while an assessment is pending or when waiting for documentation. Students who require interim accommodations are asked to complete the Self-Identification Form and an Accessibility Consultant will be happy to meet with you to begin the accommodation planning process.​​​​​