Have you ever received feedback on a writing assignment that you didn't understand? Is your most recent assignment covered in squiggly lines and arrows? Have you been too nervous to ask what passive voice means? Have you avoided using semi-colons outside of text messages because you aren't totally sure what they do? You've come to the right place!
Parts of Speech
Nouns and verbs and adjectives, oh my! This video provides an overview of the eight parts of speech in English. All sentences contain parts of speech so it's a good idea to get to know them and know how to use them effectively.
Imagine what Apollo 13 would have been like if Tom Hanks had said "Houston, a problem is being had by us" or if Don Corleone had said "He is going to be made an offer by me that can't be refused by him" in The Godfather. It doesn't have the same effect, right? That's passive voice. Check out this blog and accompanying podcast to learn more about passive voice and its counterpart, active voice.
- Semi-colons really aren't just for winky faces in text messages!
- Apostrophes are among the most commonly misused pieces of punctuation. These tiny marks can change the meaning of a sentence so it's important to understand their use. End apostro-fear now!
- What's a bracket? Find out here!
- Than vs. then, you're vs. your, affect vs. effect.
- Oxford English Dictionary Online - the home of the linguaphile! As a Nipissing student, you have access to this amazing resource. For those wishing to use the OED off-campus, sign in using your WebAdvisor login and password.
- 15 Grammar Goofs - You're bound to have a couple grammar goofs in any paper but you'll be less likely to make these really common ones if you take a look at this!