An academic petition is a request that you be granted an exception to an academic regulation with which all students must comply. A petition will be considered when your circumstance meets each of the following conditions:
- was beyond your control;
- could not reasonably have been anticipated or over-come; and
- has seriously affected your studies.
The Academic Petition Form and Personal Letter must accompany all academic petition requests. All student information must be included.
Petitions concerning Counselling and Student Accessibility Services, medical services, late registration or late withdrawal must have the associated form completed and submitted.
- Academic Petition Form (mandatory)
- Personal Letter (mandatory)
- Attending Physician's Statement
- Counselling & Student Accessibility Services Form
- Late Registration Form
- Late Withdrawal Form
- Petition Checklist (for personal use only)
** Note: It is strongly recommended to include supporting documentation from the Department for exception to program requirements requests.
Upcoming Meeting Dates
Below are the upcoming Academic Awards, Appeals and Petitions Committee meeting dates. Petitions received after the deadline to submit will be heard at the next scheduled meeting.
|Meeting Date||Deadline to Submit Petition|
|December 5, 2019||November 28, 2019|
Notification of Decision: *meeting dates are subject to change
Following the Academic Awards, Appeals and Petitions Committee meeting, students are notified through their Nipissing University e-mail address to check the status of their petition on WebAdvisor under "Communication" and "Other Correspondence". Select desired item and click on "Submit" to view the petition request and decision. Under normal circumstances petitions can take approximately one week to be processed depending on the type of petition submitted and the time of year.
Questions or concerns regarding Academic Petitions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep your information up-to-date! Make sure we have your current contact information on WebAdvisor.
Academic Petition Procedure:
To initiate an academic petition, students must submit the following forms/information:
- A completed copy of the Academic Petition Form;
- A Personal Letter (typed or clearly handwritten);
- Any relevant supporting documentation (ie petitions submitted on medical grounds require an Attending Physician's Statement; those requesting late registration must include a Late Registration Form, etc.).
- You will receive an e-mail notification, through your Nipissing University student e-mail account, to check your petition status on WebAdvisor.
- It is your responsibility to ensure all necessary documentation to support your Academic Petition is received in the Registrar's Office.
- Incomplete petitions will not be accepted.
- Academic Awards, Appeals and Petitions Committee decisions are final and may not be appealed.
- Guidelines for the Academic Awards, Appeals and Petitions Committee can be found at this link.
Academic Petition Form Descriptions:
This mandatory form summarizes the information that you have included, and the courses that are involved (if any).
This mandatory personal letter must be an explanation of the problems and circumstances which have prompted the petition. It is imperative that the personal letter be carefully prepared and circumstances clearly documented.
The petition letter must be organized under the following two headings:
- Regulation(s) being petitioned; clearly indicate the regulation(s) from which you are seeking exemption.
- Extenuating circumstance(s) beyond your control which adversely affected your ability to comply with that regulation, policy, rule or deadline. If you are requesting to drop some but not all of your courses in a term or session, explain your selectivity and provide supporting documentation.
Remember to indicate the following when preparing your personal letter:
- your name and student number;
- always identify the term, course code and section (where applicable);
- documents you are enclosing with your petition
Petitions submitted on medical grounds must include an Attending Physician's Statement form. This form is to be completed and signed by your physician. The Attending Physician's Statement must give the full name, mailing address and telephone number of the attending physician. Note: The Physician's office may be contacted to verify that the forms were completed by the physician.
If you have utilized Counselling and Student Accessibility Services, this form is to be completed and signed by your counsellor.
Note: Counselling & Student Accessibility Services may be contacted to verify that the forms were completed by the counsellor.
Students who are petitioning to register in a course after the last date to add the course has passed must complete this form, and obtain the approval of the course instructor.
Students who are petitioning to withdraw after the last date to drop the course must complete this form, and obtain the approval of the course instructor.
The Petition Checklist is supplied for your personal use to ensure that all documentation is submitted with your Academic Petition. It is your responsibility to ensure all documentation is received in the Registrar's Office within one month of filing your petition or it will be cancelled. Students can resubmit a complete petition after this time.
It is recommended that you retain a copy of any documents you will be submitting with your petition.